Before Loona there was CHIP?

dglacier

I run into this bot from like 7 years ago, and acts so much like Loona, except it looks more like a dog, has legs and wheels at the same time, and it seems to be more responsive than Loona. This dog has no AI (well neither does Loona really except for Chat GPT mode) but I was curious. It also lacks the fun screen on her face but.. check it out

Yes I just discovered Chip too recently but for some reason I see it as more of a child’s toy, unlike Loona which I see as an autonomous robot. But as you rightly point out there may not be much difference between Loona and Chip when it comes to AI.

Would you purchase Chip? I wouldn’t as I see it more as a toy than a robot companion, but when I go to analyse why I have come to this conclusion I can’t point out exactly why I feel this way.

For me Loona’s ability to see me and react to me via her camera is the defining reason why I consider her a companion robot; whereas Chip without any camera I see as merely a toy.

Where is the line drawn between toy and robot? I think Loona’s moving ears and expressive face bring Loona into the realm of robot companion for me. But it’s a fine line that’s for sure as Chip seems very likeable.

As Microsoft and Google release offline LLM’s for developers to use in their products in the near future that will give robots the ability to learn and react in real time; this might be what defines Loona should KEYi decide to go down that route.

This Loona owner on YouTube made a video about Chip, maybe they would be willing to make a Loona and Chip comparison video for you.

Yes I just discovered Chip too recently but for some reason I see it as more of a child’s toy, unlike Loona which I see as an autonomous robot. But as you rightly point out there may not be much difference between Loona and Chip when it comes to AI.

Would you purchase Chip? I wouldn’t as I see it more as a toy than a robot companion, but when I go to analyse why I have come to this conclusion I can’t point out exactly why I feel this way.

For me Loona’s ability to see me and react to me via her camera is the defining reason why I consider her a companion robot; whereas Chip without any camera I see as merely a toy.

Where is the line drawn between toy and robot? I think Loona’s moving ears and expressive face bring Loona into the realm of robot companion for me. But it’s a fine line that’s for sure as Chip seems very likeable.

As Microsoft and Google release offline LLM’s for developers to use in their products in the near future that will give robots the ability to learn and react in real time; this might be what defines Loona should KEYi decide to go down that route.

This Loona owner on YouTube made a video about Chip, maybe they would be willing to make a Loona and Chip comparison video for you.
Sup Chris, agree. There is something bout Loona that still tells me "hold on, more is coming"

Ah yes, Chip does feel more like a toy, now that I see the video