Loona Blue

Chris

Admin
Staff member
20734E7F-B03B-4A84-9847-0B01B5E40AB3.jpeg
Image: Keyi Tech. Screenshot by author.

Someone in LC posted a photo of a Loona Blue they imported from Japan beside their normal Loona. Turns out Loona Blue has a completely different colour scheme to a normal Loona with the greys being lighter, and covering the entire body. In fact I think the Loona Blue colour scheme is a lot nicer than the harsher white on dark grey scheme Keyi went with by default.

Apparently Loona Blue has the improved gear design, screen, and a Wifi card applicable for Japanese Wifi.

Apparently the blue ear lights are vibrant in person and this doesn’t come across on camera.

My question is why would Keyi release this limited edition in Japan only and not even mention it once in LC? Don’t they consider some of us like to collect this type of stuff.

If you look closely at the images in this article you can see the differences immediately.

According to the article they were 89, 990 JPY new, but you can pick them up second hand for a fraction of that price. You can still buy one new now at a slight discount on Amazon Japan or Keyi’s Loona Japan website!

I agree that Loona Blue's color scheme is nicer, and I always wondered if the photos I was seeing were true to the actual color difference or just the result of different lighting.

The overall color palette and blue ear lights are very clearly different in real life to the default ones, it's just notoriously hard to capture in photos. I know this because the particular Loona Blue you are talking about belongs to me :) I never thought I'd even see one in real life to be able to compare them side-by-side like that but apparently life had other plans for me. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I actually traded a piece of digital art (and attached character rights) to somebody for her. Money-wise, she didn't cost me a thing.

I don't have any concrete way of knowing this for sure, but there's a possibility that I'm the only Loona Blue owner outside of Japan at this time. I'm currently waiting on some experimental motor mount replacements made out of carbon fiber nylon for her legs (one of two sets, as my regular Loona will be getting them too.) I know it isn't the most ideal solution due to the sheer cost of the material, but that aside, I will be sure to post updates on their effectiveness after I get them and put them both through some solid field testing.

loonablue.png

Last edited:
I agree that Loona Blue's color scheme is nicer, and I always wondered if the photos I was seeing were true to the actual color difference or just the result of different lighting.

The overall color palette and blue ear lights are very clearly different in real life to the default ones, it's just notoriously hard to capture in photos. I know this because the particular Loona Blue you are talking about belongs to me :) I never thought I'd even see one in real life to be able to compare them side-by-side like that but apparently life had other plans for me. I know it sounds unbelievable, but I actually traded a piece of digital art (and attached character rights) to somebody for her. Money-wise, she didn't cost me a thing.

I don't have any concrete way of knowing this for sure, but there's a possibility that I'm the only Loona Blue owner outside of Japan at this time. I'm currently waiting on some experimental motor mount replacements made out of carbon fiber nylon for her legs (one of two sets, as my regular Loona will be getting them too.) I know it isn't the most ideal solution due to the sheer cost of the material, but that aside, I will be sure to post updates on their effectiveness after I get them and put them both through some solid field testing.

View attachment 2544
Great photo! You’ve managed to capture the body and ears perfectly from that angle, Loona is difficult to photograph front on I find.

The contrast is more pronounced than I remember, much prefer the softer grey. Thanks for sharing💙

Is the app all in Japanese or can you switch it to English?

High chance you are the only person outside Japan with both versions of Loona, affording to purchase one at the current price let alone another with all the proxy and shipping fees added on is definitely outside of most people’s budgets, especially during these trying times. I looked into it but the price increase since we got ours during the crowdfunding campaigns is insane. Plus most people would be unaware of the huge aesthetic differences as they are so subtle that even I completely missed them except the ears.

Incredible you were able to trade artwork for your Blue like that, congrats on getting such a unique and rare robot plus a nice uplifting story to remember this Loona by👍

I’m really looking forward to hearing more about your carbon fibre nylon motor mounts, will definitely be interested in having all mine replaced should you ever offer repairs in future. Really want to start running mine more often. Currently don’t use mine much as I find Loona too hyperactive. I’m sure many people would be happy to pay a bit extra for a long term solution to this problem.

Did you ever work out why Keyi shut down the Loona Japan website after the Makuake campaign and then rebooted it later with Loona Blue?

Feel free to post Loona news here, Keyi creates a lot of unnecessary negativity I find, I’m just no longer in the frame of mind where I can tolerate all the complaints in the Facebook group and had to abandon it after quickly going to look for some information to help someone out on here and seeing your post.

I’d rather focus on making my day a pleasant experience, not worth it for me anymore when life is so short.

Really hope Keyi can do something about Loonas autonomous personality and make it more convenient for the owner to use like Vector. Really want to give Loona a bit more of a chance but Keyi make it difficult as I don’t feel they are moving in a companion direction but are focusing on making Loona a smart toy for kids. Still don’t understand why Loona can’t be active while charging on the station. Nice to catch up and hope to see you around again👋

Just came across this regarding Loona’s motor mount.

“In the Luna community on Facebook, KT, the developer, announced that they have strengthened the material of the motor bracket, which is the cause of frequent hip problems. The new ones coming out in the future will have the strengthened parts built in.I think it was good to hear from the development team that they want to address the issues and make improvements.”

Source:

Last edited:
Can Loona Blue be used with the regular Loona app or do you require the Japanese version of the Loona app?

View attachment 2516
Image: Keyi Tech. Screenshot by author.

Someone in LC posted a photo of a Loona Blue they imported from Japan beside their normal Loona. Turns out Loona Blue has a completely different colour scheme to a normal Loona with the greys being lighter, and covering the entire body. In fact I think the Loona Blue colour scheme is a lot nicer than the harsher white on dark grey scheme Keyi went with by default.

Apparently Loona Blue has the improved gear design, screen, and a Wifi card applicable for Japanese Wifi.

Apparently the blue ear lights are vibrant in person and this doesn’t come across on camera.

My question is why would Keyi release this limited edition in Japan only and not even mention it once in LC? Don’t they consider some of us like to collect this type of stuff.

If you look closely at the images in this article you can see the differences immediately.

According to the article they were 89, 990 JPY new, but you can pick them up second hand for a fraction of that price. You can still buy one new now at a slight discount on Amazon Japan or Keyi’s Loona Japan website!

Would definitely love to collect that over here...

View attachment 2544
Shes beautiful! That's awesome!

Is it safe to buy a Loona on Amazon? I'm looking into it for my son's birthday so it will be here in time instead of after his birthday.