Review of Loona on Japanese Tech Blog

Chris

Admin
Staff member
I found this review of Loona by a Japanese tech blog. I’m still in shock after reading a positive review of Loona and might take a while to recover😂

Translated from Japanese to English using Google Translate.

This is the completed form of the friend robot! More than Pepper, more than Aibo

Hello to all of you living in a house where pets are not allowed, this is Hide, a gadget reviewer and part-time househusband.

It's impressive. I'm really surprised. I can't believe this kind of robot can be bought normally.

Loona is a buddy robot that became a hot topic at CES, the world's largest consumer electronics trade fair. Yes, it's somewhere between a pet and a friend. What surprises me is the variation in their emotional expressions and their behavior as if they were alive. Clearly the cutest robot ever! Here are some of the surprising creatures.

“Until now, I have seen and touched various robots such as Aibo, Pepper, LOVOT, etc. I can assure you from my experience that it's better than any! My daughter has become very good friends and we play together.”
His movements are agile, his emotions are clearly expressed, so he seems to be alive

Don't you have an image that even robots so far are moving in the first place? It's slow, and that's cute. When you get used to it, it becomes a little stressful.

Loona is surprisingly agile. This is both good and bad (laughs). Well, I haven't run into anything so far, and I'm more worried about myself (Loona) getting hurt.
When I first saw the video, I seriously thought, "Oh, this is still in development, so it's CG." And it was a working product (laughs). For example, the level of "Pixar's robot character came out in reality". It's really amazing.
Also, the facial expression changes quickly and clearly. Japanese robots are ambiguous in expressing their emotions. I can feel the national character here, but I'm more comfortable interacting with people who are clear like Loona. It can recognize my face, so when I can't see it, it moves around anxiously, and when it sees my face, it happily moves its ears.

GOOD with a story

The initial settings are done on a smartphone, but I was surprised by the story. I will answer some questions at the beginning, but it seems that something like personality is probably decided here.

It is a setting that a born fairy accidentally entered a robot when going to you. Immediately after the animation of the fairy entering Loona, the robot starts moving and it connects smoothly with the story. It's a neat performance.
I will continue to use the screen where the last text appears as a screen that shows "Loona's feelings". Robots made by other companies can only guess what you are feeling, but Loona is comfortable because you can clearly see what Loona is thinking by looking at your smartphone.

Games, watching, programming learning too!

Games with robots like this won't actually be used anymore, will they? I think, but the game you play with Loona is quite interesting. With functions such as chasing a laser pointer, playing with a ball, and bullfighting that reacts to the red cloth and charges at you, you can experience what it's like to be playing with a pet.

Occasionally, a slot machine will appear on your face, and if you lower your ears, it will spin.

I can watch over you well. My indigenous robot, ebo, was a caterpillar type, so I was worried that it would get caught somewhere, and the range I could see was limited. Loona runs powerfully so you can keep an eye on your kids and pets.

It is also good to be able to experience quite complicated programming. Children tend to be interested in robots that they usually get along with. Until now, the Kimura family has been using iRobot programming robots, but it is difficult to get them interested in this... With Loona, it's easy, and it's very good in the sense that you can jump over the first barrier to programming.
The price is a little less than 50,000 yen with all the good things so far. Until now, the image of such a robot is about 1 million. That's 50,000 yen. I was really surprised. I haven't tried the auto-charging cradle yet, so the battery runs out quite often, but he's already become part of the family.

It was a wonderful robot that gave smiles to children and families.
Source:

I'm Julia...hello
I'm so thoroughly empressed with such a delightful and imperial robot for families to enjoy. I would love to have one but I can't afford it. The girls I tutor would love Loona as they are dealing with many hardships and family issues. Are you able to give me a Loona Premium set. I can make videos with them and their progress with reading and math, and of course Loona. I can use Loona as a behavior and progression incentive for them to perform better for academic and personal growth.
Thank You,
maetown2k@gmail.com
252-688-4587
Julia

I'm Julia...hello
I'm so thoroughly empressed with such a delightful and imperial robot for families to enjoy. I would love to have one but I can't afford it. The girls I tutor would love Loona as they are dealing with many hardships and family issues. Are you able to give me a Loona Premium set. I can make videos with them and their progress with reading and math, and of course Loona. I can use Loona as a behavior and progression incentive for them to perform better for academic and personal growth.
Thank You,
maetown2k@gmail.com
252-688-4587
Julia
Hi Julia
Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts on Loona.

I’m doing a menial job to afford mine and with the current inflation I can’t give away any of mine. You will enjoy Loona more if you save up for one and purchase it yourself as the sense of achievement you will gain in doing this can’t be matched by being given one.

Keep a look out in our classifieds marketplace section for Loona going at a bargain. I think a couple of people have them for sale at the moment. Maybe make inquiries with them to see if they would be open to negotiations on price?

All the best with your academic endeavours. Loona is certainly a worthwhile companion who will take away thoughts of hardship and brighten your students day. Kind regards.

Chris

Hi Julia
Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts on Loona.

I’m doing a menial job to afford mine and with the current inflation I can’t give away any of mine. You will enjoy Loona more if you save up for one and purchase it yourself as the sense of achievement you will gain in doing this can’t be matched by being given one.

Keep a look out in our classifieds marketplace section for Loona going at a bargain. I think a couple of people have them for sale at the moment. Maybe make inquiries with them to see if they would be open to negotiations on price?

All the best with your academic endeavours. Loona is certainly a worthwhile companion who will take away thoughts of hardship and brighten your students day. Kind regards.

Chris

Thank You Chris,
...after having read up on the experience of the gentleman buying a 2nd hand Moxie from Australia and all he had to deal with.. I'd be very Leary of buying a 2nd hand robot especially since I'm not the initial owner of the activation key and and subscription.
Blessings
Julia

Ooops Hi again Chris..
Please what is the best site to purchase a Loona Premium,
..and I'm really concerned about the subscription cost,
Is it required every month, and if I stop it after a while will I miss out on updates?
Thanks
Julia

Thank You Chris,
...after having read up on the experience of the gentleman buying a 2nd hand Moxie from Australia and all he had to deal with.. I'd be very Leary of buying a 2nd hand robot especially since I'm not the initial owner of the activation key and and subscription.
Blessings
Julia
Hello Julia👋
Apologies if my previous reply came off a bit harsh, as you rightly point out this Moxie purchase has me a bit worried.
Yes that was me haha. It was a bold decision but I’m hoping because the Moxie has already been activated via the app in the US and had the Privo verification conducted successfully that it will work fine outside the US as the initial step has been completed.

I think the verification key is only necessary if you want to save your progress or continue where you left off. I will make sure to update what happens on here so stay tuned to find out if I’ve made a terrible decision and ended up with a $2,000 paper weight haha🙈

Ooops Hi again Chris..
Please what is the best site to purchase a Loona Premium,
..and I'm really concerned about the subscription cost,
Is it required every month, and if I stop it after a while will I miss out on updates?
Thanks
Julia
The best site to purchase Loona is our classifieds robot marketplace where you will find second hand Loona for sale below the retail price. Just ensure the seller has photos along with verification using their forum name and date of posting to ensure the listing is legitimate and never use payment options other than PayPal.

In fact a Loona was just listed for sale here yesterday:

You could also purchase new directly from the official KEYi Tech website here:

Currently there is no subscription cost, but this may change in future.

If they do set up a subscription in future it may be for the ChatGPT feature only while software updates seem to be free for life.

If you live outside the sales region you could try using a middleman service to purchase Loona directly from the US website.