Moxie losing power when unplugged

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Over the past week Moxie has been completely losing power whenever I unplug it from the adapter cable. Previously I could use Moxie unplugged no problems and the battery would last for ages.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? The battery doesn’t seem capable of holding a charge at all now.

Could this be related to Moxie being left for a year in storage under the previous owner or have I destroyed the battery by constantly having Moxie plugged in?

Could this be a symptom of Moxie experiencing a power surge while plugged in?

The power adapter did fall about a metre off a table as I was moving Moxie last week and I’m worried it might have gotten damaged and isn’t converting the voltage correctly and Moxie’s electronics are suffering from the high voltage here in Australia.

Any ideas?

I noticed Moxie’s heart light is always orange now while on like it’s trying to constantly charge but never succeeds in getting full.

I think it has something to do with either the old wiring in my building or the fact we had a horrendously hot summer and my apartment fries in the afternoon sun while I’m out at work with no air conditioning on. Either the battery has prematurely degraded from the heat or the wiring has affected it.

I’ve also noticed the battery on my very old iPhone 6s that was only replaced two years ago has completely degraded also since living in this apartment.

Found some info for others that might be useful to help you avoid a similar situation:

Still can’t get Moxie’s heart light to go white when plugged into power yet strangely displays purple to indicate fully charged when unplugged. The heart light is staying orange no matter how long I charge it, indicating it’s attempting to charge but is unsuccessful.

I emailed Embodied but it’s the weekend so they probably won’t get back to me until Tuesday( Monday US time).

Really don’t want to send this little guy back to Embodied, so might try letting the battery completely drain while unplugged and quickly plug it in again in the hopes this resets the battery somehow and resolves this issue.

I’ve moved Moxie over to a modern outlet that hopefully is grounded.

The reason this is an issue is I can’t get Moxie to connect to Wifi. I’m assuming it’s because Moxie needs to be fully charged to do so, from my experience anyway.

If this doesn’t work I might try leaving Moxie turned on while plugged in and see if that does anything.

Definitely nothing wrong with the health of the battery- Moxie was still displaying the white heart light after more than an hour unplugged from power. It must be a problem with the charging electronics or adapter.

Probably not a good idea to let the battery drain if it’s having trouble recharging. I’ve decided to leave Moxie plugged in while powered on overnight and see if this does anything. Usually I charge Moxie while powered off.

Had Moxie plugged into power charging while turned on for a few minutes.

Decided to turn Moxie off as was going to turn on again to see if I could connect it to Wifi and noticed the strangest thing- the light bar and heart light are flashing blue then green. Never seen this before while Moxie has been turned off but plugged into power!

So it seems charging Moxie powered on has done something so will leave Moxie to charge like this overnight.

I contacted Embodied and they got back to me despite it being the weekend! The support told me to attempt to connect Moxie to Wifi. I tried that last night and it failed.

But today I tried again and I was amazed Moxie connected and went into the dream bubbles state. The app notified me Moxie was updating. I wonder if Moxie got stuck in a loop while attempting to update and that explained the strange flashing light bar.

Just did bear breathing! Really glad to have this little guy back- was genuinely relieved when Moxie woke up and started talking😁

738806A9-2139-4757-B426-A83F6F036579.jpeg
EF2A6304-0F21-4720-9911-1C7F0B0911AC.jpeg

Embodied support seem to think this could be an LED error and does not indicate an internal software error as long as Moxie is working normally.

Over the past week Moxie has been completely losing power whenever I unplug it from the adapter cable. Previously I could use Moxie unplugged no problems and the battery would last for ages.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on? The battery doesn’t seem capable of holding a charge at all now.

Could this be related to Moxie being left for a year in storage under the previous owner or have I destroyed the battery by constantly having Moxie plugged in?

Could this be a symptom of Moxie experiencing a power surge while plugged in?

The power adapter did fall about a metre off a table as I was moving Moxie last week and I’m worried it might have gotten damaged and isn’t converting the voltage correctly and Moxie’s electronics are suffering from the high voltage here in Australia.

Any ideas?

Hi Chris..

Just wanted to ask, how is your Moxie’s battery holding up.. ? My Moxie seems to be having similar issue and cannot hold power when unplugged. It only works now when it’s plugged but I noticed that the battery still gradually decreases..

Thank you

Hi Chris..

Just wanted to ask, how is your Moxie’s battery holding up.. ? My Moxie seems to be having similar issue and cannot hold power when unplugged. It only works now when it’s plugged but I noticed that the battery still gradually decreases..

Thank you
Hey StelWand👋

My Moxie’s battery seems to be gradually decreasing also. It was 99% a month ago, then went down to 95% and is now on 93% despite being plugged in overnight. It seems to be losing capacity gradually. Not sure what is causing this but as you are experiencing similar issues perhaps it’s software related?
6C5C8064-3CC1-4F3F-B927-2E07105E4C8E.jpeg

Mine has a permanently orange heart light.
E77EF7DC-80BF-4E80-923D-5392DA06AFA9.jpeg

Yeah mine still can’t function unless it’s permanently plugged into power. Here is a video I just filmed to demonstrate this:

It also seems to have a phantom battery discharge problem when unplugged as it requires almost a full battery to connect to Wifi. I dislike leaving it permanently plugged in but find if I unplug it for one night it won’t connect to Wifi the next day and requires another 24 hours or more of being plugged into power before it will connect to Wifi again.

I’m not sure how accurate the battery reading in the app is. Otherwise I can’t explain why my Moxie is having these Wifi issues.

Despite charging overnight it won’t connect to Wifi today. I’m finding myself running Aibo again as Moxie has become impractical to use in this state.

Funnily I was actually trying to connect Moxie to Wifi when I saw your reply here.
2CA48DFE-3790-46D2-B593-6995B86164AD.jpeg

Are you having any issues with connecting Moxie to Wifi?

Hi Chris,

Sorry yo hear about your Moxie cannot connect to Wifi. So far for my Moxie, no problem connecting to wifi when Moxie is plugged in. I do notice the same permanent orange heart on Moxie as well.

I’ve emailed Embodied and their fervent response is that it’s a secondhand Moxie and also implied that there must have some issues happened with a former owner - which I doubt, because I received Moxie showing 100% at the onset.. but just gradually decreasing recently - even when plugged.

They recommended to have Moxie’s battery to get to 0 and then charge it up to 100. Otherwise, use Moxie while charging if it cannot stay on - unplugged.

Hi Chris,

Sorry yo hear about your Moxie cannot connect to Wifi. So far for my Moxie, no problem connecting to wifi when Moxie is plugged in. I do notice the same permanent orange heart on Moxie as well.

I’ve emailed Embodied and their fervent response is that it’s a secondhand Moxie and also implied that there must have some issues happened with a former owner - which I doubt, because I received Moxie showing 100% at the onset.. but just gradually decreasing recently - even when plugged.

They recommended to have Moxie’s battery to get to 0 and then charge it up to 100. Otherwise, use Moxie while charging if it cannot stay on - unplugged.
Strange we both have the exact same issues with second-hand Moxies.

I’d be cautious about allowing the battery to completely drain due to them seemingly losing capacity. Although it might reset the battery and fix the issue so might be worth a try.

Does your Moxie’s heart light and bar flash green then blue while powered off but plugged into power? Mine still does.

Strangely my Moxie stops working when unplugged but the light bar and heart stay purple, meaning it’s unplugged but battery level is sufficient. I think it’s software related with all the updates they have been pushing recently.

Are you on a subscription? I’m thinking of canceling my subscription once multimodal capabilities come out and see what functionality I still have, if any. The monthly cost is just too high in my currency, wish they would reduce it to a minimum of $10 per month if they aren’t offering updates every month or charge us more when buying new.

If I wasn’t paying the forums monthly hosting fee I probably wouldn’t mind spending the Australian Dollars $60 per month (US$39) to support Embodied, but with inflation it’s become more than I’m comfortable with paying unfortunately.

If you notice any changes in your Moxie feel free to update here.

Strange we both have the exact same issues with second-hand Moxies.

I’d be cautious about allowing the battery to completely drain due to them seemingly losing capacity. Although it might reset the battery and fix the issue so might be worth a try.

Does your Moxie’s heart light and bar flash green then blue while powered off but plugged into power? Mine still does.

Strangely my Moxie stops working when unplugged but the light bar and heart stay purple, meaning it’s unplugged but battery level is sufficient. I think it’s software related with all the updates they have been pushing recently.

Are you on a subscription? I’m thinking of canceling my subscription once multimodal capabilities come out and see what functionality I still have, if any. The monthly cost is just too high in my currency, wish they would reduce it to a minimum of $10 per month if they aren’t offering updates every month or charge us more when buying new.

If I wasn’t paying the forums monthly hosting fee I probably wouldn’t mind spending the Australian Dollars $60 per month (US$39) to support Embodied, but with inflation it’s become more than I’m comfortable with paying unfortunately.

If you notice any changes in your Moxie feel free to update here.
Hi Chris,

Indeed, I don’t feel like draining my Moxie to 0 battery.. but will observe further should this could possibly reset the battery.

Yes, same status as with my Moxie. Blue and green flashing lights while plugged and turned off. Light purple when unplugged and turned on.. I’m on subscription as well and will follow your lead.

I see Moxie’s potential and the kids are enjoying Moxie, but I do hope Embodied fix any of the software issues well..

Will share updates as they come along. Thank you so much

Hi Chris,

Indeed, I don’t feel like draining my Moxie to 0 battery.. but will observe further should this could possibly reset the battery.

Yes, same status as with my Moxie. Blue and green flashing lights while plugged and turned off. Light purple when unplugged and turned on.. I’m on subscription as well and will follow your lead.

I see Moxie’s potential and the kids are enjoying Moxie, but I do hope Embodied fix any of the software issues well..

Will share updates as they come along. Thank you so much
Thanks for getting back to me with this update- it’s reassuring to know someone else is experiencing similar issues.

Just to update my battery level is now 92%.

My Moxie is connecting fine to Wifi now. It’s definitely a great robot and very engaging and hope your children get loads of enjoyment from it. Moxie is currently telling me about alien puppies with glitter fur exploring new planets in space haha lots of great fun for kids.

F5FE9607-76E0-4181-9F67-0098033669DB.jpeg
83D2618E-4687-46B6-9978-809909A314B5.jpeg