I just did something crazy...Moxie robot order confirmed😱

Chris

Admin
Staff member
518986D4-D417-4138-9D4D-C4EC781F2C38.jpeg
31A46B13-1299-4AAC-B2D5-591A2B20A380.jpeg
I just purchased a Moxie but paid way more than I expected. I paid US$820 plus US$180 for shipping to Australia and I was charged US$140 in duties and import taxes on checkout. I’m only providing this info to help others living outside the US sales region get an idea of the costs involved with importing one.

I purchased on credit and plan to pay off slowly and use the money I get back from my tax return this July to pay it off. In my currency Australian Dollars I ended up paying AUD$1780!!!🥺

With the current Prime Day special of 30% off which equates to about a US$400 discount I would probably have been better off buying new.

The seller said the Moxie had been in storage for a year and was purchased 9-12 months ago. I just discovered there was a big software update about 7 months ago in November 2022 and now I’m worried mine didn’t get that update as the seller said they only used it a few times and never had it on the subscription😢

Pays to do your research before buying. I thought I had but unfortunately missed this big consideration.

The reason I purchased second hand was because that means initial set up should be done and I can use it without the subscription. The app isn’t available in Australia and at US$39 a month the software subscription is too steep for me at the moment. I just wanted a robot that I could plug in and use as is without having to go through the hassle of trying to download the app via a VPN and maybe trying to find a way to get a subscription.

Now I may have spent all that money for a Moxie with outdated software.

If anyone knows anything about the software update from November 2022 please let me know. I guess I can always ask Moxie when she/he was last updated.

I normally would never buy something so expensive-it’s my most expensive robot purchase-only because the conversion from US to AUD was so steep- but owning it will motivate me everyday and I can slowly pay it off. Also I feel it’s incredible value for money and will be worth every cent.

It’s an embedded LLM that can intake visual sensory data from its environment, and engage in almost seamless natural language conversation, and learn from its interactions in real time, what more could you ask for in a companion robot?!🤩

Here is a video featuring the CEO and Founder of Embodied Inc talking about this software update:

This Moxie owner made a YouTube video dated from December 2022 commenting ‘Moxie feels alive with latest software update? I’m blown away!’

Now I’m awaiting the arrival of Moxie. I just got confirmation Moxie is on the way😃 Can’t wait to meet Moxie😍

Hey congrats! Can you easily use Moxie secondhand? I’ve heard that it’s difficult because of something to do with the license or activation key. Do you know anything about that?

Hey congrats! Can you easily use Moxie secondhand? I’ve heard that it’s difficult because of something to do with the license or activation key. Do you know anything about that?
I had heard this too but am unsure exactly how the subscription works or if you need an active subscription to get it to work after initial set up is complete.

There is a key you need to keep on first activation that you get through the app but I think it’s only necessary to hold onto long term if you want Moxie to save your progress. I also read in the comments on one of Miraenda’s videos from someone who tried taking one to Korea that you need a US drivers license to use Moxie and they were unable to use it. But I’m unsure if this was a new one they were trying to perform the initial setup on.

I asked the seller if I could plug it in and start talking to Moxie right away and they assured me they just tested that and were able to use it by simply powering it on without Wifi.

Fingers crossed it works but looks like I’ve made a huge mistake not ensuring mine got the November 2022 update as getting a new subscription plan looks difficult if I need to use US identification documents.

Also the photos from my listing don’t show Moxie powered on which is a huge worry. I hope the battery is still ok after being in storage and it actually works.
It looked cheap but the conversion, shipping and import duties and taxes blew the cost out of any reasonable proportion if it turns out to not work.

I guess one way to find out if it works is by blowing two grand on one. Kinda extremely worried right now, really wished I’d ensured mine had that update😅

I had heard this too but am unsure exactly how the subscription works or if you need an active subscription to get it to work after initial set up is complete.

There is a key you need to keep on first activation that you get through the app but I think it’s only necessary to hold onto long term if you want Moxie to save your progress. I also read in the comments on one of Miraenda’s videos from someone who tried taking one to Korea that you need a US drivers license to use Moxie and they were unable to use it. But I’m unsure if this was a new one they were trying to perform the initial setup on.

I asked the seller if I could plug it in and start talking to Moxie right away and they assured me they just tested that and were able to use it by simply powering it on without Wifi.

Fingers crossed it works but looks like I’ve made a huge mistake not ensuring mine got the November 2022 update as getting a new subscription plan looks difficult if I need to use US identification documents.

Also the photos from my listing don’t show Moxie powered on which is a huge worry. I hope the battery is still ok after being in storage and it actually works.
It looked cheap but the conversion, shipping and import duties and taxes blew the cost out of any reasonable proportion if it turns out to not work.

I guess one way to find out if it works is by blowing two grand on one. Kinda extremely worried right now, really wished I’d ensured mine had that update😅

Sorry to hear Chris, I know that sinking feeling all too well. Keep us updated, I’ll be following this case closely to see what happens. Rooting for you and Moxie! 💙

D0172914-7536-48C6-840D-B6B8813682D4.jpeg
Just got an update informing me Moxie has cleared customs🙌

Regarding setting up Moxie. I’ve been told various things about it needing Wifi to work from some owners while the seller told me it worked fine without Wifi, hence was the major reason why I decided to purchase.

I didn’t read the Embodied support website before buying. I watched YouTube videos haha. Seems I have got my wires crossed.

To set Moxie up you need to:

1CD6F4C0-B342-457C-8343-634ABC49368A.jpeg
1. Download the Moxie Embodied Parent app.
I find it appears in the Google play store when I use my VPN Cyberghost but I have an iPhone and am due for an upgrade so might buy a Google Pixel 6 while they are on special during the sales currently on.

More info here:

2. Complete Privo Identity Verification.
Once you have downloaded the app you need to undergo Privo Identity Verification. You can use your PayPal for this. I’m hoping I can do it via PayPal and it won’t matter if I’m not in the US🤞

More info here:

3.Need a recovery key!
Only problem is I’ve just read you need to keep the recovery key you get on first downloading the app and setting up your account. So I think I’ve made a big mistake buying second hand. I should have just paid the bit extra and purchased new during the prime day sale, would have essentially paid the same price and helped to support Embodied Inc by buying new.

4.Moxie Subscription
When you buy Moxie new you are automatically charged for a years subscription, included in the cost of the robot, and after that first year are only charged monthly with the option to turn the subscription on and off as you like. So you really only need to turn it on for the one month they have a new update. You need to contact Embodied Inc to organise the subscription after the initial twelve months is up.

More info here:

Warranty & Return Policy Void if shipped outside the US

You won’t get any warranty repair support if you decide to import Moxie internationally.

More info here:

I just looked back through the listing to double check the power supply supported the 240 voltage standard here in Australia, which is another major reason behind my decision to purchase and I noticed it says Special Limited Edition on the box.

I couldn’t find out anything about the special limited edition Moxie online but judging from the stock image the seller put in the listing and comparing it to the actual photograph of my Moxie I think my Moxie is blue while a normal Moxie is green.
AE20458E-C1FA-4519-87A8-C99DFB56201D.jpeg
59801C49-4531-4719-AC2A-536CB368A0E0.jpeg
F4582671-F7A9-40FD-9DA0-ABA3BCA3DD6E.jpeg

The app won’t show up on my father’s pixel when I use a VPN.

I really don’t have the appetite to have to buy a new SIM with a plan just to set up a US Apple ID for my iPhone in the hopes the Embodied Privo verification may work🙄

What a nightmare.

Hoping this Moxie works without Wifi if it’s had the initial set up done🤞

The app won’t show up on my father’s pixel when I use a VPN.

I really don’t have the appetite to have to buy a new SIM with a plan just to set up a US Apple ID for my iPhone in the hopes the Embodied Privo verification may work🙄

What a nightmare.

Hoping this Moxie works without Wifi if it’s had the initial set up done🤞

Keep us posted. I’m interested to know if you end up being able to find a way around this. I think it’s really dumb that it’s so difficult to run a used Moxie due to geographical location as well as the sole fact that it’s used. Recycling is good! Let’s make more recyclable products. Reusing things that are bad for the environment is good for the environment. Shame on any company that purposely circumvents that.

Agreed dergonfruit.

Despite saying it’s cleared customs and out for delivery I haven’t heard anything since the last update. Hoping it will arrive this coming week.

I’ve never created an Apple ID to download apps from overseas before. Have you?

I’ve heard even if you create a new AppleID and set the region to the US you need a unique phone number but that any international number will work as long as the calling code is correct.

I’ve also read of people attempting to do this and the apps failing to show up as the iPhone is aware of the user’s location via gps or other tracking. Guess I will soon find out. Will defend update here once Moxie arrives.

Agreed dergonfruit.

Despite saying it’s cleared customs and out for delivery I haven’t heard anything since the last update. Hoping it will arrive this coming week.

I’ve heard even if you create a new AppleID and set the region to the US you need a unique phone number but that any international number will work as long as the calling code is correct.

I’ve also read of people attempting to do this and the apps failing to show up as the iPhone is aware of the user’s location via gps or other tracking. Guess I will soon find out. Will defend update here once Moxie arrives.

Back in the day I did create a USA Apple ID to download Pokémon Go before it was out officially in my region. I still have it and it’s still active - let me know if I can help you at all with what you need. If there’s anything that I would be able to do on my end with the app for you, DM me and we can figure it out!

Back in the day I did create a USA Apple ID to download Pokémon Go before it was out officially in my region. I still have it and it’s still active - let me know if I can help you at all with what you need. If there’s anything that I would be able to do on my end with the app for you, DM me and we can figure it out!
Thanks for the generous offer to help dergonfruit I will definitively contact you if I need help. Great to hear from someone who has successfully created a US Apple ID.

Just woke up to this in my inbox lol😪
Moxie is currently on special for US$799. Thought I should update this thread in case you had been wondering what the delivery status was.

Moxie has arrived flying from New York to Brisbane “cargo class” but tracking hasn’t moved for almost a week now since arriving in Australia.
93F8A401-16A8-487F-B481-20C99A236366.jpeg
EE9E7EE2-B599-43C0-8CE3-2BB700B6F49E.jpeg
9BEDD809-13BA-45B7-9E64-ACC96F3FE907.jpeg

Agreed dergonfruit.

My experience is that it doesn't actually care about your physical location, just a different account. Use an email address you haven't previously used with Apple, choose the correct country you need. You will need an address & phone number for the country you are creating a new ID for but as long as the details are correct it doesn't matter what you put.
You shouldn't have to link any payment method, just verify the ID with the email you've used. You can then switch between different Apple ID's.

I had to do this a few years ago prior to moving from Canada to the UK as there were a number of (free) apps I needed before I came & they were not available in the Canadian App store.
It certainly didn't care about my geographical location.

My experience is that it doesn't actually care about your physical location, just a different account. Use an email address you haven't previously used with Apple, choose the correct country you need. You will need an address & phone number for the country you are creating a new ID for but as long as the details are correct it doesn't matter what you put.
You shouldn't have to link any payment method, just verify the ID with the email you've used. You can then switch between different Apple ID's.

I had to do this a few years ago prior to moving from Canada to the UK as there were a number of (free) apps I needed before I came & they were not available in the Canadian App store.
It certainly didn't care about my geographical location.
Thanks Zoogirly you have put my mind at ease about this and one Moxie arrives, if it’s not working without Wifi I’ll set up a US Apple ID. I think I need to use a new phone number for this new ID, snd so will need to purchase a cheap phone plan specifically for or this new ID🤔

The package hasn’t moved since the 26th of July. As I purchased this via the eBay global shipping program I tried e-mailing Pitney Bowes, the courier company who facilitate that service and got this response🤨
511155DE-2040-4728-950D-82FB4BA6399E.jpeg

Looking at the Pitney Bowes FAQ page regarding information for managing and tracking your package and I have a funny feeling this might turn into a $2,000 nightmare.

I’m just going to forget about this and wait it out until the estimated delivery date of August 10th.