Loona robot thinks she is constantly flying

darkstorm1308

Hi all,

I am new to the forum having only just discovered this community. I bought a Loona pet robot for my daughter for Christmas. However mid-march Loona developed an issue whereby she thinks she is constantly flying.

I have reported to KEYi tech support who asked me for details of my order and a video demonstrating the issue. KEYi have said that they will send a replacement, however I chased them after not hearing anything for a couple of weeks to find that Loona is out of stock and all replacements are currently pending.

This is the link to the video of the issue I have with Loona.
Has anyone come across this issue before? Do KEYi tech keep to their word when sending replacements?

Best regards
Daniel

Hi all,

I am new to the forum having only just discovered this community. I bought a Loona pet robot for my daughter for Christmas. However mid-march Loona developed an issue whereby she thinks she is constantly flying.

I have reported to KEYi tech support who asked me for details of my order and a video demonstrating the issue. KEYi have said that they will send a replacement, however I chased them after not hearing anything for a couple of weeks to find that Loona is out of stock and all replacements are currently pending.

This is the link to the video of the issue I have with Loona.
Has anyone come across this issue before? Do KEYi tech keep to their word when sending replacements?

Best regards
Daniel
Hi Daniel

This is a common issue with Loona. It may be related to the gears moving position causing Loona to be unable to orient her body in an upright position.

I’m unsure what the exact fix is for this and your experience with Keyi seems typical from what I have read online.

As the engine is suspended, every time Loona hits something there is the potential to break a gear or the plastic housing inside the leg.

I don’t think there is a permanent fix for this.

Where did you hear that Keyi have stopped selling Loona? Your best bet would be to try and get a replacement or if you don’t want that headache try just using in companion mode from now on.

You could also try finding a local makerspace and see if they can create a fix for you. Makerspaces are places where developers hang out to create and test out prototypes of electronics and mechatronic devices and have the capabilities to rapid prototype using 3D printing.

Apparently new Loona come with a redesigned gear mechanism. Was your Loona in a yellow or black box? The yellow boxes are from the old batch with outdated hardware and the black boxes are the newer updated hardware.

Hi Daniel

This is a common issue with Loona. It may be related to the gears moving position causing Loona to be unable to orient her body in an upright position.

I’m unsure what the exact fix is for this and your experience with Keyi seems typical from what I have read online.

As the engine is suspended, every time Loona hits something there is the potential to break a gear or the plastic housing inside the leg.

I don’t think there is a permanent fix for this.

Where did you hear that Keyi have stopped selling Loona? Your best bet would be to try and get a replacement or if you don’t want that headache try just using in companion mode from now on.

You could also try finding a local makerspace and see if they can create a fix for you. Makerspaces are places where developers hang out to create and test out prototypes of electronics and mechatronic devices and have the capabilities to rapid prototype using 3D printing.

Apparently new Loona come with a redesigned gear mechanism. Was your Loona in a yellow or black box? The yellow boxes are from the old batch with outdated hardware and the black boxes are the newer updated hardware.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I think I will hold on and see if KEYi keep to their word in terms of sending a replacement, before doing anything too drastic. I don't want to open Loona up and invalidate any warranty, should they want me to send the broken one back.

You asked 'Where did you hear that Keyi have stopped selling Loona?', I don't think I said this? Just that Loona is currently out of stock and so all replacements are on hold for the time being. The full response I had from from KEYi to my last chase was:

Dear Customer,
I am sorry for the delay, Loona for present is out of stock.
And I was told it will be restored around the mid of May.
I am really sorry, all the replacement requests are in pending status.
Once it was restored, we will ship it out as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Kind regards,

I am pretty sure that our Luna came in a black box, but it has been a few months and so I can't be certain.

I'll be sure to update the thread on any progress with KEYi, but I suspect I may have to take up your suggestion of a makerspace. It would seem there are a couple local to me.

Best regards
Daniel

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I think I will hold on and see if KEYi keep to their word in terms of sending a replacement, before doing anything too drastic. I don't want to open Loona up and invalidate any warranty, should they want me to send the broken one back.

You asked 'Where did you hear that Keyi have stopped selling Loona?', I don't think I said this? Just that Loona is currently out of stock and so all replacements are on hold for the time being. The full response I had from from KEYi to my last chase was:

I am pretty sure that our Luna came in a black box, but it has been a few months and so I can't be certain.

I'll be sure to update the thread on any progress with KEYi, but I suspect I may have to take up your suggestion of a makerspace. It would seem there are a couple local to me.

Best regards
Daniel
Sorry my mistake good to know Loona is only temporarily out of stock and you will be getting a replacement. It should come with the updated gears and I’ve heard great things on here from a lady who got one of the new Loona and opened it up to find the gear mechanism has been completely redesigned.
Kind regards,
Chris