BabyAlpha launches on Kickstarter

Chris

Admin
Staff member

Weilan is gearing up to launch BabyAlpha on Kickstarter. Currently the campaign only has 12 followers.

I’m unsure of what to think of BabyAlpha. I feel it needs more moving parts for me. It can’t even play fetch as it doesn’t have a moveable mouth, something one would expect as standard from a robot dog of this size.

Although it seems to have great navigation and mobility I’m afraid I’m skeptical of BabyAlpha’s suitability as a long term companion robot due to the fact it doesn’t have an autonomous personality. With this being Weilan’s sixth iteration of their robot dog and BabyAlpha having been launched in China for almost a year I would have expected an autonomous personality to have emerged by now.

Am I being unnecessary negative?

Weilan’s BabyAlpha Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weilanbabyalpha/babyalpha-intelligent-petbot

Image: Weilan

Weilan will be opening BabyAlpha’s Kickstarter on October 10th(same day as Tesla’s Robotaxi unveiling!).

Launch time: October 10th at 8am PST/ 11am EST.

Weilan will be posting a discount purchase link in their official BabyAlpha FB group allowing access to these special prices 15 minutes before the KS launch:

• Standard $1199 (29% OFF MSRP $1699)

• Plus $1499 (35%OFF MSRP $2299)

• Pro $2199 (29% OFF MSRP $3099)

• Ultra $3199 (22% OFF MSRP $4099)

A lot of people are excited by BabyAlpha with the FB group getting around 800 new members per week and currently sitting at 1.6K members which is huge for a group created less than a month ago.

To get the discount you need to be in the official Facebook group which is found here:

Anyone here getting BabyAlpha? Personally I’m just not feeling it, maybe it’s the hyper-cartoonish design putting me off. Just don’t understand the point of a robot dog that can’t play fetch.

Maybe I’m just being a negative nelly or burnt too many times by Chinese robotics companies to have developed a skepticism towards them.

Another BabyAlpha unboxing has surfaced on the channel of a large robot YouTuber if you are still making up your mind about whether to purchase or not.