Amazon Astro Unboxing & Review

Chris

Admin
Staff member
An incredibly in-depth review of the Amazon Astro:

Amazon Astro​

A rolling Alexa robot for household help​

BOTTOM LINE​

Equal parts security camera, smart display, and robot pet, the endearing Amazon Astro is a useful and fun addition to your home—if you can get one.

• PROS​

• Quick, reliable autonomous navigation
    • Excellent home monitoring features
    • Built-in Alexa voice assistant
    • Large display
    • Good audio and video quality
  • CONS​

• Mirrors, glass walls/doors can cause navigation issues
    • Some home monitoring features cost extra

I have a new family member and its name is Astro. The $999.99 Amazon Astro is neither pet nor human, but a robot that zips around my home and keeps me company, responds to my Alexa voice commands, helps connect me to family and friends, keeps me entertained, and transports items from room to room for me in its cargo bin. Despite its cute, pet-like personality, the Astro even acts as a roaming indoor security camera and can protect me via alerts if it detects alarms, breaking glass, or intruders. While it's currently available on an invite-only basis and its high price puts it out of reach for most people, the Astro is a helpful and fun addition to any smart home, and one I've certainly enjoyed having in mine.​

Your New Family Pet​

The Astro (a name meaning "of the stars," but also a nod to the family pet in The Jetsons) is part of Amazon's Day 1 Editions Program to bring its "newest and most ambitious technology to customers." First unveiled in the fall of 2021, the pricey robot is still available on an invitation-only basis.

Amazon didn't offer PCMag special access to this product—we joined the waiting list back in 2021 and finally snagged an invite in early 2023. The introductory price being offered to early invitees is $999.99, but the full retail price when the Astro goes on sale to the general public will be $1,449.99. We purchased the Astro directly from Amazon and it arrived on my doorstep a few days later.

The Astro works with a free mobile app of the same name (available for Android and iOS). It requires a compatible device running at least Android 8 or iOS 13 in addition to an active Amazon.com account. Note that it is (strangely) not compatible with Amazon’s own Fire OS and Fire tablets at this time. It's meant strictly for indoor use in homes up to 3,500 square feet, and isn't recommended for homes with small pets or children younger than three.

The box includes the Astro, a removable dual cup holder for its cargo bin, a charging base with a six-foot power cable, a quick start guide, and a welcome kit.

Measuring 17.3 by 9.8 by 16.7 inches (HWD) and weighing 20.6 pounds, the Astro is about as big as a small dog. It's smaller than my pit bull, Bradley, who is both jealous of and intrigued by the robot. When not on the move, the Astro resides on its charging base, which measures 5.0 by 10.4 by 11.0 inches.

The Astro has some pet-like qualities, starting with its big, blinking eyes. A 10.1-inch touch screen with a 1,280-by-800-pixel resolution (similar to the Echo Show 10 smart display) serves as an electronic face. The display can automatically tilt and rotate to face you, but it's locked in landscape orientation and cannot be switched to portrait. A black bezel surrounding the display measures 0.75 inches on top, 0.5 inches on the left and right sides, and 0.25 inches on the bottom.

There are two cameras, including a 5MP camera situated in the middle of the top bezel, and a 1080p camera with a 132-degree field of view that can extend via periscope up to 42 inches from the floor. Atop the periscope is an indicator light that shines green when it's streaming video or audio to the cloud, like when you're using the Live View feature to remotely monitor your home.

Similar to a self-driving car, the Astro uses a suite of sensors (including navigation, depth, obstacle, and night vision) and advanced learning algorithms to autonomously roll around your home. Its large, rubber-coated wheels help it move from room to room while avoiding obstacles and traversing different flooring types with ease. Several microphones surround the periscope on the top part of the frame so the Astro can hear you. For audio, it's equipped with two 55mm full-range, front-firing speakers and a passive bass radiator that together offer clear, room-filling sound.

The robot is powered by Alexa and responds to the wake word Astro, though you can optionally add a second wake word such as Alexa, Amazon, Computer, or Echo. It responds to commands such as, "Astro, follow me," "Astro, go to the charger," "Astro, turn around," "Astro, take this to the kitchen," and "Astro, dance," plus other Alexa-supported questions and requests. It can, for instance, set timers, create reminders, tell you the weather or sports scores, and more.

On top, the Astro also features three physical buttons, including separate up and down volume controls and a microphone/camera off button. The latter lets you quickly disable the microphones, cameras, and navigation and depth sensors for privacy. When these features are turned off, the Astro can't move or capture audio or video. This button is also used to power the Astro on/off and restart the device.

A cargo bin is located on the back of the robot and has space for two beverages in its removable cup holder. You can also opt for a custom, bin-sized 56-ounce storage container(sold separately).

Read the full article here: